Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Archery Class

The baby girl is on the move. Rolling from room to room with speed and a triumphant smile. I turn my back to wash my hands and gone! - through a door to the room beyond.

It begins then - an independent girl - with a will and a direction very much her own. She is strong - plucked from a warm bath she protests and strains against her mothers arms to climb back in. A chair, barely used by my son, is worn and weak at the joints from the strength of her bounce. The hand need not rock this cradle, its owner has a force and desire to propel it on her own.

Her brother loves his cuddles, but my warrior girl strains against too close an embrace - should it restrict too much her ever moving limbs. A mothers want to keep her children close - to kiss an infant destined to grow and leave her side. My artist friend describes motherhood as archery - 'You can aim the arrow straight, but you have to let it go'. I am keen to keep this babe around, in no rush yet to watch her walk and talk and run ahead.

Plump, rosy cheeks and a side-swept lock of hair, cotton romper'd with no need yet for shoes of her own. On a day when newspaper headlines leave us sick with fear for a family we do not know, I wish not to see my daughter crawl. I tell her 'stay around, stay small, stay safe - when you roll from this room and out to our hall, know your mother loves you - and that out of sight is not - is never - out of mind...' x

5 comments:

  1. How beautifully written and I love the 'You can aim the arrow straight, but you have to let it go' phrase x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mammasaurus, those words so struck a chord with me too! x

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written and completely relatable. My 10 month old is exactly the same. Her independance astounds me ever day. Good to see another Scottish blogger out there, and local too! We are practically neighbours! Looking forward to reading more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilynn, its so great getting in touch with other bloggers, especially when they are nearby! Off to check out your blog now... x

      Delete
    2. Hope you enjoy the blog. Always get a bit nervous when I know someone is going to go read it! Eek!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting - it really does make my day x