Wednesday, 27 February 2013

A New Broom

Approaching the end of my tether I am employing a cleaner. 2 hours once a week.

I am - lately - losing control of my home. To a husband and children, 5 and 1. A house bought for love has lost it's shine. Increasingly due to a lack of time. And a never ending sea of stuff - the paraphernalia of growing up.

I managed when it was just my son. But these days where have the hours gone? To hoover and mop and wipe and dust. I wish not to spend life cleaning whilst my children are young.

The bigger the house the more the work. Our cottage in that case is big enough.

I relax not, in a mess. A clean sweep and a clear deck. But I don't have the time or the energy left.

And 2 hours a week costs not very much. (Thanks to my friend for pointing that out). Saying that this is the time to shout. Admit that it's not working now. When my instinct would be to struggle on - trust no other to do the job.

Someone once said that I run up mountains when I could be strolling up the hill. She had my measure pretty well.

So today I asked another to help. I have to tell you that felt great. Change a habit and lift a weight.

Roll on Tuesday, cleaning day... x

You can find poetry and prose from other bloggers every Thursday over at Prose For Thought

9 comments:

  1. I love this post. You have such a way with prose.
    I have a cleaner, and I couldn't do without one, those few hours help each week really do help me keep on top of things. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh pleased to hear it! It was getting on top of me, especially now that I'm back at work part time. May as well spend some of my wages preventing a nervous breakdown ;-)

      Delete
  2. Who knew that words about cleaning could be so well put. I always love your prose Helen. This one is so cleverly written, and well done on getting a cleaner - like you I find it hard to let go xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes I've arranged it for a work day, so I'm not following the poor woman around the house...

      Delete
  3. Great writing and good that you're getting a cleaner in, we used to have a cleaner when I was young and both my parents worked, it saved them a lot of time and hassle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I am hoping it will make a difference to our weekends (and my sanity!) x

      Delete
  4. Very wise - I really should follow your lead. I'm a mountain struggler too. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it really does make my day x