Wednesday, 13 February 2013

St Valentine

We shopped today, the baby girl and I. Heart shaped gifts suitable when you're 1 and 5.

My son is keen for Valentines Day and promises extra hugs. Excited over tiny tokens of love. Fridge magnets and foil wrapped chocolate hearts. Home-made stars and hand scrawled cards.

It has changed then, Valentines. No butterflies and heartaches of another time.

And love has changed. A friend once told me it goes up and down. Life and work and worn out.

And children - the very stuff of love. Unconditionally adored and - sometimes - hard work. Still every moment of the day, the best thing that we've ever done.

Our love. The mundane to the heady rush - without which things wouldn't amount to very much.

So Valentines Day for me - up for school and home for tea. Bath and bed and then we'll see.

A few hours left for patterns of old. Wine and dinner for two not four... x

You can read poetry from other bloggers today and every Thursday over at Prose For Thought

13 comments:

  1. People may say it's a commercial farce, but for me, anything that reminds you to cherish those you love, to make the effort, can only be good. We all need those gentle reminders sometimes, and we all like to feel loved, appreciated, and that someone made the effort. Hope your dinner is lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This completely sums up Valentines Day when you have children, beautifully written. I agree with Mummy Plum, it's a time to cherish the ones you love :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely, realistic look at Valentine's Day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies, yes it is still important, after how ever many years of marriage. And I love letting my children embrace it too. My son is all for extra cuddles - whatever the excuse! Hope you all enjoy Valentines x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have done what I always do a card for all of the men in my life and a chocolate heart too, but Malteazers for MadDad as they are his fav. small tokens of affection

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post! Hope you have a lovely valentines! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. what an honest view on valentines day, really love this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Extra hugs from your son! The best valentine's gift of all. Enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful summing up of your valentines day.I agree with Mummy Plum that gentle reminders are good. We've done more this year than we have in the last couple but the need for some expression of love has been greater. So today I salute Valentines Day for making us make an effort. Hope you have an enjoyable evening. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post is spot on - I can be rather cynical about Valentines day - but on the other hand there is no harm in a day about sharing gratitude for the one(s) we love, even the smallest token - after all we are so busy most of the time, it's easy to take our nearest and dearest for granted. Lovely post. :o).

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post - really glad I have found this linky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful Prose! You should link up to my weekly Wednesday Words Linky! This would have been perfect! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it really does make my day x