Monday, 11 March 2013

A Mother's Voice

It's the cheeks I love. Plump and round and baby soft - flushed from sleep.

Full of face and shades of pink. No hint yet of cheekbones underneath.

They grow slim with the years - stretch into something lean. Slip through fingers and in-between. My boy of 5 could pass for 7 with ease.

But a chubby cheek. A small hand and childish tears. Keep them close these early years - for babies grow like disbelief.

My daughter, these days, is reminding me.

15 months - but toddler doesn't seem the word.

My baby, my love. I see you're set on growing up - just not too fast and not too much.

This boy my first, this girl my last. And somewhere in the middle hopes which didn't come to pass.

You are my all. My very breath, my rise and fall. Take your time whilst growing tall - your mother wants to catch it all.

So a baby cheek. A fleeting time I wish to keep. Nuzzle, kiss and wipe the tears... x

My post has been written as a guest blog for 'A Mother's Voice', a beautiful series which you can find at Write Like No One's Watching. I am also linking today to Magic Moments.

15 comments:

  1. Just lovely. What a way with words you have xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read this as I was feeding my baby and felt the meaning of each and every word. So lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - and I loved reading about your Victoria Sponge! My favourite too x

      Delete
  3. This is a lovely post and i can totally relate to these feelings. My little boy is 23 months and i often sit in awe of what he has in store in his life and how quickly he is growing.

    Thank you so much for linking up with #magicmoments :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaime - It's amazing (and a little frightening) how fast the time disappears! x

      Delete
  4. Just lovely - it's hard to describe your writing - it's very unique - you write in this poetic prose.... a very gentle voice, that really STANDS OUT! X.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is lovely.You really have a lovely way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is beautifully written. Just found you thanks to Older Mum *points up a couple of comments*.
    VERY pleased to read/meet you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Waves* Hello! Thank you so much x

      Delete
  7. I know I've said this before, but you write bloody awesome poetry. Everything you write is so vividly descriptive. I love it x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, I love the way you write, almost musical in the way it flows. And a lovely sentiment / magic moment too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous post! Lovely to find your blog! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it really does make my day x