Tuesday, 19 March 2013

Snapshot

I love old photographs. A little out of focus - colours faded, edges worn.

Kept in a case or a cardboard box - back of the drawer.

Or glass frames hung on a wall. Loved ones - moments caught - whilst life moved on.

Faces of babes held aloft, sun-tanned teens and grinning tots. And mothers - always out of shot. The arms, the hands, the tail of the coat.

The support.

Without whom - life should not move on. One generation to the next and years beyond.

Women who,



once mothers...



...seldom make it into pictures on their own... x


Me (and my Mum) x

Today I am linking up to the fabulous Prose For Thought.

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. It is lovely looking through old photos, they capture such a sense of place. Just lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so very true Helen. This made me smile. I keep saying to my husband that we need more photos with all of us in them x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I guess that's what we do, provide the support, as we were also supported. I'm sorting through Mum's old photos now, deciding what to keep. It is the hardest part of losing a Mum and the last thing I will do for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this was great - and beautifully observed - so true as well. There are not that many pictures of me and Little A where I am 'fully involved'. X.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm never in the pictures always taking them, not that I mind, just another woman who doesn't really like pictures of herself. Your pictures are lovely though and I too love old pics the hazy filter that anything pre 80's seems to have. Lovely words too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful words, so well captured - as a photograph is too! Another great poem Helen, thanks for linking up on World Poetry Day :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the grainy quality of old photographs. They have an almost magical quality to them. I am always behind the lens, never in front of it. So much so, I had a major strop on holiday this year 'SOMEONE take a picture of me with my children..PLEASE!' I want to be preserved in glorious technicolour for my sons to look at in future years. Ideally before too much more grey sets in! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is excellent. Love the gentle rhythm of it - kind of prose-poetry. And I love the fact that the pictures are integrated in the poem. I'll be looking out for more of your work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you - and remember - appear in photos! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it really does make my day x