Tuesday, 26 March 2013

Tulip Fields

My Mum is an identical twin. Younger by 20 minutes - and shorter by a fraction of an inch.

Opposite shores of the North Sea. Waves and sky and miles in-between. 

And tulip fields.

Red and yellow and orange and green. A holiday backdrop all these years.

Strange it seems - when split from the same seed - that twins should grow apart and leave. Visit a couple of times a year. Planes and trains and duty free. 

And children who they seldom see. Different cities, different streets.

But one seed. One cot or they wouldn't sleep. One room, one school, one shared strand of memories.

Special - I believe.

Whatever the distance put in-between... x

Today I'm linking up to the fabulous Prose For Thought.

15 comments:

  1. I love the poetic language - beautiful post x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post and I think you're right, I imagine a twins bond to be very strong no matter the distance

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, something very special about twins and the bond they have. There have been a fair few twins in my family, I've held my breath every time I've had a pregnancy scan but so far only one each time...just as well really, I don't think I could cope otherwise! Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, there's something magical about twins, especially when they are identical. A best friend from before you drew breath, how lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Identical twins have always fascinated me - and so one of them lives in Holland then? I am guessing that is your mother's sister? I bet you held your breath at those first scans - lovely, lovely words! X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I did - but my husband was worse! Never seen a man look so relieved to be told there's only one... x

      Delete
  6. Absolutely beautiful, you have a real talent x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely poem again! I am also curious about the living in Holland thing as i am Dutch - is your mum Dutch or was this just a work-related move?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum's in UK and her sister married a Dutchman and moved. They both said it was like losing a right arm... They visit regularly and its been years now. But still seems so odd to be so far apart xx

      Delete
  8. Hey! Not-a-robot here, dropping by to read more of your beautiful poetry. I love the way you describe the growing apart of two people who shared one womb. Sad and amazing how life does that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post. Popping over from Prose for Thought x

    ReplyDelete
  10. great poem, it must be hard for your mum and her sister to be so far apart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a lovely poem and being an identical twin one i relate too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it really does make my day x