Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Lost & Found

The mirrors are looking tired in my house.
They show me lines and crooked smiles,
Eyes less bright than once upon a time.

And they work better higher up,
Shoulders down they've started to distort.
Twist and bulge and tell me all that's wrong.

What happened to the girl they used to hold?
Did she turn heel and walk through sliding doors?
Glass and time and back when we were young?

She's left me here to look upon,
what's been found and what has gone -
and I am not the image I once was.

Somewhere in the mirror that girl's lost.

So I held you,
Rosy cheeks and not yet 2,
Thought that maybe you'd know where to look.

We found her then - years of love and light ahead,
beauty, youth and life yet to be led...

Not I in the mirror -
you instead... x

I'm so proud to have been shortlisted in the BIBs Fresh Voice Category. 
If you enjoy my writing please take a moment to vote for me via the link below...

NOMINATE ME BiB 2013 FRESH VOICE

I'm linking today, as every Thursday, to the fabulous Prose For Thought.

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful. My youngest and I spend a lot of time looking in mirrors together. He loves them and delights in seeing himself in the glass. I find it very moving looking at us together, and it often makes me reflect inwardly too. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting older is a very strange beast. I wish our culture embraced it, celebrated it more. Love the line about the mirrors looking tired, the mirrors in my house do too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ending gave me goosebumps.

    There is clearly something wrong with your mirrors though, because you look very beautiful and bright eyed in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say - this mirrors seem to work better when I'm wearing makeup... x

      Delete
  4. Absolutely beautiful. I feel like this so often. Its spooky how our daughters start to mirror us. there have been many times recently where Ross has commented on how alike Grace and I are as we sit together. i agree though - there must be something wrong with your mirroirs, you look lovely :). Thank you so much for linking up to Prose For Thought and as ever for your valuable support. Congratulations again on your BIBs short listing, well deserved xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm so pleased to support #Prose4T it is growing in strength every week x

      Delete
  5. Another beautiful poem. I can relate to every line. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have such a talent. this is my favourite poem as yet. congratulations on your shortlist xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exquisite and I so can relate too. You have a beautiful talent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I have the same mirrors in my house. Really lovely words and I really enjoyed the positive turn at the end because I was starting to feel lost with you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, perhaps we've all landed dodgy mirrors from a bad batch somewhere... ;-)

      Delete
  9. This is just so lovely. Possibly my favourite poem of yours ever. So touching. Will definitely be voting for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for supporting my little blog! x

      Delete
  10. Just beautiful Helen, I often feel like this when I look in the mirror, something that is becoming less and less these days! I love the last verse in particular. Well done again ion the BiBs, you know I'm delighted for you and rooting you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nichola, and I should hope so - you're my agent ;-) xx

      Delete
  11. Beautiful poem! Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mirrors lie. They let me believe I am still the woman I think I am, so now it takes photos to remind me of the passing of time. Enjoy your beautiful daughter and well done on yet another lovely piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was really beautiful and really struck a chord with me. I love holding Little A in front of a mirror - we cuddle close and smile back at each other - it feels very intimate. X.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it really does make my day x