Wednesday, 3 April 2013

Sea Gulls

My birthday yesterday.
Elie, St Monans, Pittenweem and Crail. A sunny day - cold wind but no rain.

And we walked - drove from place to place.
Boats and shell and harbour walls. Gulls and wild air.

6 of us there - played on sand and wrote our names.

And I watched the sea - pebble, stone and blue and green,
wider skies and narrow streets.
Easier - to breathe.

37 years. Health and work and family,
lucky - to be young and to be here.

But a want for the sea.
Not for concrete promenades and not for sandy beach.

A harbour wall - slate roof and painted door, chimney breast and rocky shore. 
Wooden boats and coloured buoys.

And an iron post - solid, straight with line of rope. 
Sea swept hair and wind tossed clothes... x


Crail Harbour

You can read poetry every Thursday from other bloggers at Prose For Thought.

14 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday from a fellow Aries. Mine is 3 days away from yours :0). Fingers crossed your birthday wishes come true x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope so too. And a very happy birthday to you too xx

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday! A lovely picture painted with words...and at the end.

    Many happy returns xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always look forward to your poetry, and this was another good one! It's always slightly wistful. I could just see the seaside. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness - yes! Thats the word! Wistful. I could never put my finger on the tone of my writing before. Thank you so much! x

      Delete
    2. Wistful is my favourite mood for poetry and possibly even prose. That must be why I love reading your blog!

      Delete
  4. Many happy returns lovely lady! I hope you had a lovely day - it certainly sounds like you did! X.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very Happy Belated Birthday lovely lady :) xx. This is as beautiful as ever...a yearning to live near the sea there - like me! We've just sold our house so who knows?! A lovely painting too, did you do it? Thank you for linking to Prose For Thought, and for all your support, as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting, having just sold your house - you should find a stone cottage on a beach somewhere :-) Thank you I did do the painting, although a few years ago now xx

      Delete
  6. Happy Belated Birthday, I it sure sound like you had fun (although would be nice with sun) Great post xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your writing. I too love the sea- I hear a seagull and it transports me to easy lazy days filled with sun & the promise of days without work. Loved the picture painted with words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely. A very Happy Birthday to you x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it really does make my day x