Sunday, 28 April 2013

The Lights



She watched them of a night. Positioned in view of the lighthouse and furthermost point before landmass met the sea.

Each evening they returned - swarming like giant fish only metres from the shore. Indistinct shapes which huddled close.

And glowed. It was the glowing which perplexed her the most. Close to the rocks, warm clear light filtered only by waves and froth.

The path to the beach descended the slope. Dark and infrequently lit. And breeze, light over tide, carried little sound forth.

Still the water glowed.

Rock aside, pebble and shingle turned then to coarse sand. Noisy underfoot. Seabed quick and wader deep amidst the surf.

2 feet, 3 feet further in. Swirling skirt and jumper sodden wet. Cold and dark and hard to tell.

And lights then - around her legs. As seaweed pulls and flows and ebbs.

But faces instead - arms and torso and head - brightly glowing tails equipped with scales and fin and flesh. Giant fish which once were men.

And their song - deep and strong - told of years of solid rock. Ships and wrecks and all which once was lost.

She swam that night with lighthouse keepers sworn to light the rocks... x

I'm so proud to have been shortlisted in the BIBs Fresh Voice Category. 
If you enjoy my writing please take a moment to vote for me via the link below...

NOMINATE ME BiB 2013 FRESH VOICE

Today I am linking to the wonderful Magic Moments.

11 comments:

  1. I would love the Mer people to really exist. A whole underwater kingdom with Triton as the king. It would be nice to think we had sea guardians to keep us safe.
    Brilliant words once again Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eerie but somehow nostalgic.
    Cheers, ic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. I want to be able to write like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh - that took me some where else, far, far away from the Monday chores. Lovely, and I really like that badge. X.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so love reading your posts honey, so beautifully written and engaging!

    Thanks for linking up with #magicmoments :-) xxxx

    Ps i am popping your new badge on the blogs i love page :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and haunting. I felt like I was being drawn into the sea with her. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely images swirling in my mind!! I loved this story :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a lovely image - I particularly like the sense of their song. Wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful imagery, this had made smile and sigh and relax xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it really does make my day x