Thursday, 30 May 2013

Hang On High


Bats in the roof -
the space above our room,
3am and wide awake and month of May and June.

Zig and zag and zoom,
wooden eaves and top of trees and over wild woods,
sky and field and speed of sound and heady birds eye view.

And smaller - than you knew.

And you can watch,
9pm and open door and turn the TV off,
pebble garden, rugged stone and fly from way on top.

To soar and swarm and drop.

And I first heard,
softly thud and thud again
late at night and late to bed and listen what on earth?

Gone at dusk and home at dawn and sleep then overhead.

In our house -
bat and bee and bird and mouse,
in and out and up and down and through and round about.

Foot of field and ever-green and empty miles around.

Their house,
here before and here beyond and who could stop them now?
Open sky and hang on high and darkest, deadest night.

14 comments:

  1. It sounds like you already live in Green Knowe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wish... - that would be amazing!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this. We used to sometimes get bats at my parents house. I always remember being struck at how small they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised the first time I say how small they were, tiny - but so many of them!

      Delete
  3. You had me at zig and zag and zoom! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shenanigans of those cute little beasties captured beautifully.

    We have bats here right now as it happens; big beasties though: Fruit Bats, or `Flying Foxes', & definitley no fun in the roof.
    Cheers, ic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness - 'Flying Foxes' - shudder - I'm not sure I like the sound of that!!

      Delete
  5. They zoom so close by to you, don't they? I loved watching the bats when I was younger. We have owls and foxes near us, but I haven't seen many bats...so this brought back happy bat-watching memories x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me of balmy summer nights as a kid when you got to play out till dark - then the bats would come out !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent poem! There is a bat barn near to our house and the bats swoop and play in our garden on summer nights - they always follow the same path so we can sit and watch them without getting in the way.

    Thank you for your comment on my BritMums post. Hope to see you there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always follow the same path don't they? We had a bush in the middle of the garden which they all used to circle but its gone now so they leave the roofspace and head straight for the trees :)

      Delete
  8. No way I would get any sleep with bats overhead! Where you live does sound idyllic though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - they really don't bother me - you'd be surprised how tiny they are though!

      Delete
  9. This is wonderful. We used to have mice.... they used to scratch and scratch in the floor boards. Used to drive me mad. On the island we honeymooned there were big, big fruit bats - they were amazing. X.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it really does make my day x