Monday, 6 May 2013

The Walled Garden


It wasn't there before.
Or if it was I don't recall,
door of wood in wall of stone and long since overgrown.

But a moment from home,
bluebell wood and photographs and come on time to go,
6pm and dinner now and starting to be cold.

Then a door.
Stood ajar as if we'd seen the likes of it before,
path and branch and hardly need to duck your head at all.

Feet away - no more.

Another world beyond -
overgrown wild thorns,
garden tangled dense and old and kept inside 4 walls.

And I held my breath,
willed you then to step inside and look on something else,
take us from a grey and dull and ordinary day.

For I told you before,
that where we live is very old,
horse and pig and sheep and cow and tractor trail and trough.

And memories - left in stone.

From a garden of old - rack and ruin overgrown,
What it looked like yesteryear now heaven only knows,
fountain, lawn and flowerbed, and path and tree and rose.


It wasn't there before.
Or if it was I don't recall.
Wall and walk and wild wood but didn't see the door.


But I saw you like Tom, 
window on a magic world,
out of bed and out of time and out of all you know... x


Although I have searched the internet thoroughly before and found nothing,
this evening I searched again and immediately found this...

Townend House and Cottage (source Wikipedia)
Hugh Glover held the lands of Townend circa 1701-4 and in 1733 William Kelso of Dankeith sold the lands to George Boyd of East Overloan Farm. William Hay Boyd, Esq. of Her Majesty's 20th Regiment of Infantry in the Crimea[23] and was the owner of Townend House (NS 37652 31552) and estate in 1839.[13] Townend is an 18th century building with a Victorian Italianate wing. A dated lintel in the walled garden may have come from an earlier building on the site; the old stables, were converted into a small dwelling in the 1960s.[24] In recent times Townend House has functioned as a nursing home,[4] Townend Cottage, circa 1810, situated in the village was its former dower house. The Hay-Boyds gave land for the village hall, a school, and a garden next to the church.[23]


I'm so proud to have been shortlisted in the BIBs Fresh Voice Category. 
If you enjoy my writing please take a moment to vote for me via the link below...

NOMINATE ME BiB 2013 FRESH VOICE 

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall
Prose for Thought

25 comments:

  1. Wow, that is the stuff dreams are made of. I'd love to find my own secret garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so thrilled - I knew the garden was there but had never noticed the door in all the times we'd walked along by the wall x

      Delete
  2. Wow. Just like Tom or Mary Lennox xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm desperate to read my boy Tom's Midnight Garden now :)

      Delete
  3. With a bit of imagination, you could see it as Tom saw his!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to get my hands on some photos. My neighbour grew up in the big house on our little estate so I really need to find out if she has any.

      Delete
  4. The Secret Garden was one of my favourite books as a child. The magic of finding that hidden door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it - nothing was going to stop me from going in! :)

      Delete
  5. What a magical experience! I wonder whether it's ever tended, or just left to the wild elements...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Left wild without a door. We could get more than a feet inside. I'd love someone to take it under their wing and restore it to what it was...

      Delete
  6. Wow!!!! What a wonderful discovery - how utterly magical. And I love how that door 'wasn't there before', how our minds play tricks like that on us. Whether it was or wasn't, what a magical place to find. Such a shame that garden hasn't been brought back to life! Enchanting words. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes I'd give anything to see it the way it was. I'm going to try my best to locate some old photographs. Somebody, somewhere must have something...

      Delete
  7. How wonderful! There is something magical about an old door in a stone wall. I read Tom's Midnight Garden to E a few years ago. So wonderful to revisit it xx Beautifully crafted as always x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this and your lovely words to match the door. When the children and I walk the 2 miles to school on a summer day we have an old door in the Cornish wall along the lane that they always look in and wonder why it is there and what it is for. Perfect to fuel their imagination. Thank you for sharing your secret door and garden on Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An enchanting post. This is the stuff of childhood dreams - and will always be etched in memory. We had a derelict piece of land at the end of our garden when we were kids. Used to explore it and go adventuring. Then my Dad bought it and it became perfectly mown lawn. It felt boring then.

    Wishing your boy many more adventures in the walled garden. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. How utterly wonderful! Enjoy re-reading Tom's Midnight Garden, it's such a magical story. I love this about becoming a parent - you get to become a child again too. (If you ever stopped, which I'm not sure I did...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your own secret garden! I loved that book. I so wish I could wax lyrical like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ive never read that book but I want to now! I love the magical feel of walled gardens. Lovely poem x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a magical find and so amazing to walk on land so rich in the history of time. You write so beautifully and I thoroughly enjoyed going on a journey through your words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These types of finds are what poetry is made of. Such a great poem for what has gone before - I wonder what that garden really did hold? I love that you found some information about it too. Thank you for linking up to Prose For Thought and for all your amazing support as always lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. How beautiful and oh so magical :)

    I always love the way you write

    popping over via #Prose4T

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  16. As I said on twitter, this is so lovely and reminds me of an almost exact same door a short walk from my parent's house. I used to look at it for hours, and imagine what the garden was like behind it. It looked so run down from my side, yet strong somehow xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, I liked this very very much. It's lovely. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it really does make my day x