Saturday, 28 December 2013

Ellis Hall - Prologue



Before

I rather like endings. The last steep straight hurtling towards the inevitable swift fall into something altogether new. The opportunity - once again - to reinvent.

New year suits me well in that respect. I'm young enough, yet, to see a plethora of opportunity laid in wait. I'm waiting, I think, for the absolute, unexpected twist.

Eleanor says I must find a way to be content. That those possessing of an ill unrestful nature as good as let the devil in - that I am lucky in my home, in my position and in my wealth.

She is wrong about that - and on leaving this house and its garden I am increasingly and wholeheartedly intent.

It's been the easiest decision to make - in the small hours of the past 3 months while I've seldom slept. It's where I go from here that fills me with apprehension if not dread. I'm known in these parts - by name and by face. Estranged from the house I possess neither family, income, nor estate.

But I shan't remain. For I'd lose my sanity here - amongst god-forsaken walls where the past keeps its grip on the present day. I'd go mad in such a place.

Should you glance me in my haste to be gone - hold your tongue. I invite you not into my tale of woe. We know evil here at Ellis Hall. Stay off the road, stay off the track, and should I pass by - bolt your door.

Continues here.



If you enjoy my writing you might enjoy my little book - A Familiar Voice


Prose for Thought

11 comments:

  1. So chilling and beautiful all at once. I can so relate to the words 'where the past keeps its grip on the present day'. How I often long to be rid of the walls too sometimes, yet in their grip is a security. Just wonderful Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - so glad you liked it. I'm going to try and use this as the start to a much longer story. That's my new year challenge! x

      Delete
    2. Brilliant! Will it be a Winter of Words?! Can't wait to read more xx

      Delete
  2. Your writing is truly exceptional. I do look forward to reading more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marianne! Happy new Year to you x

      Delete
  3. Ooooo! Beautiful words (a poet writing fiction, how delicious!) and an intriguing start to a story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to see where the story takes me! x

      Delete
  4. Just wonderful.... what a great project you have set yourself! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is wonderful! I am so pleased to have read the start of something that I believe will be fab...I look forward to reading more. Thank you for linking to Prose for Thought and being such a great co-editor over at BritMums :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is truly stirring and intriguing... look forward to reading more :) Happy New Year btw x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it really does make my day x